The suburb og Nauen is characterised by grand villas and splendid palaces. Behind this beauty, however, lurks a dark past. After the victory of the Allies over Nazi Germany, the Potsdam Conference took place in the Cecilienhof Palace from 17 July to 2 August, 1945, resulting in the signing of the Potsdam agreement, whereby Germany was divided into 4 occupation zones. Potsdam received special status and became a centre for the presence of Soviet armed forces. The museum in the Leistikow street today keeps in remembrance the forbidden parts of the city and the fates of the victims of Stalinist terror in the former KGB prison. On a walk past the former Europe Centre of the KGB in the Empress Augusta Foundation, over to the Cecilienhof Palace and up to the Glienicke Bridge, we get a glimpse of the depressing atmosphere of the post-war period and the Cold War – which highlights all the more, the progress that Potsdam has made since Reunification. If one decides on a visit to the newly built Hans Otto Theatre located at the cultural centres of Shipwright’s Alley, it soon becomes clear that Potsdam belongs to one of the centers experiencing a boom in the east of Germany.
The tour includes the
KGB prison in Leistikow street – the Empress Augusta Foundation – the forbidden parts of the city – The Meierei – Pfingst parish – Cecilienhof Palace – the former border at the Rabbit Holes – Swan Lane – Berliner Suburb – Villa Schöningen – Glienicke Bridge and the cultural centre of Shipwright’s Alley together with the New Theatre.